Click one of the buttons above to download the latest version of Automatic
4.11.0 - May 26, 2012
- Added the ability to specify a file containing an alpha-channel mask to
be applied to the main image when it is displayed over the background. Full
- On XP systems the file open dialog is now forced to open in thumbnail mode
when selecting graphic file on the Preferences screen (Background, Picture
- Added Photoshop (.psd) files to the list of files that can be used as a
picture frame. Previously only .png and .gif.
- Bug fix - Start button would sometimes show the word Start instead
of Restart even though the timer was running.
4.10.46 - February 16, 2012
- Bug fix - New method of displaying wallpaper broke screensaver
4.10.33 - February 05, 2012
- The way the AWC wallpaper is constructed and displayed on screen has been
changed so that it should now display on multimonitor systems correctly irrespective
of how they are laid out. Note that this can mean that opening the underlying
bitmap in an editor might mean that you do not see what you expect. I only
have access to systems with two monitors so reports of any problems on systems
with more than that will be appreciated.
- Screensaver functionality changed to match the new way of handling multimonitor
- On Windows 7 systems you can now set the OS Logon Screen background to be
the wallpaper that is currently displayed on your desktop. Note that on multimonitor
systems it is the wallpaper on your primary monitor that is used.
- Restart button caption now changes between Start/Restart depending on current
4.10.14 - January 10, 2012
- Fixed bug where wallpaper does not change if all windows are minimised and
no desktop icons highlighted because AWC thought that a full screen program
was running in the foreground
- Added sort direction indicators to file view column headers
- Added view mode indicator icons to make it easier to see what mode you are
- Folder/Files list column headers use slightly larger font
- Minor changes to some button labels and their tooltips so they change depending
on what view mode you are in
- Bug fixes to prevent crashes when some menu items were selected before AWC
had loaded any files
4.10 - December 19, 2011
- Added the ability to drag and drop one or more folders onto the file list
in View By File mode. All image files in each dropped folder are added to
the list. Recursion of subfolders is not supported.
- Updated program icon so it resizes with high definition on Windows 7.
- When graphical items are selected in preferences their contents are now
displayed as a thumbnail on the page.
- General Program Options page has been split into four separate tabs as it
was getting very cluttered.
- You can now take a snapshot of the current set of screens' wallpapers and
have that snapshot displayed when the wallpaper is cleared.
- Standard Filtering (Folder View Only) in Preferences has been split into
three separate tabs to make room for additional option.
- Exclude Folders option has been added to Standard Filtering. You can define
one or more folders that should not be searched for files when refreshing
the file list.
- Added the option to apply a texture to the final wallpaper. This is somewhat
experimental but works well depending on the kind of images you are using.
- Fixed bug where user adding a new display to the system without restarting
Windows would cause AWC to show an error message on each change.
- Added option to delete the list of recently used themes.
4.9.26 - September 26, 2011
- Fixed problems with graphical picture frames not being transparent
- Added Balanced Smart option to transparency options. This adjusts the edge
which is treated as transparent depending on how resizing has made the image
fit on the screen
- Background image for each monitor is now stored in memory ready for reuse
instead of rereading from disk each time
- /EXCLUDE command line option added. This allows you to specify the name
of a text file which contains a list of folders that should not be read when
looking for files. I'll add this functionality to the preferences page at
a later date.
4.9.1 - December 20, 2010
- New option to display the comment that you've added to a file on the screen
- You can now edit the file comments in either file or folder mode.
- Added the ability to use EXIF geotag information stored in the image to
open Google Earth at the location the picture was taken. This was inspired
by the way the iPhone stores latitude and longitude when you take a picture.
- New option that allows you to simply open the folder containing the image
file in Windows Explorer when you opt to edit a file.
- Fix to problem where, when tiling pictures, AWC could enter a locked state
and show very high CPU usage.
- Initial fix for Windows 7 problem where multiple monitor systems only displayed
properly if the monitors were physically laid out as Monitor1, Monitor2 etc.
If Monitor2 was to the left of Monitor1 the image layout was wrong. The problem
is due to Microsoft changing the way the desktop is displayed in order to
support its own, very limited, Wallpaper changer, so virtual screen positioning
is ignored. This is still not a complete fix as the monitors must be laid
out next to each other (in any order), they cannot be one above the other
yet. I'm still working on that.
- The speed with which meta-data can be extracted from files when using advanced
searching options has been greatly improved.
- The preferences page previously called File name has been renamed Caption.
- You can now select to display different items as a caption on the image:
file name, file comment and original image date.
- Moved the option that defines whether to use the created or modified date
of the file to the General preferences page.
- Added a new page to the Preferences screen to allow the user to manage which
file extensions should be treated as image files. Along with the previously
supported file formats I've added a number of others: TIF, PSD (photoshop),
and Camera RAW.
- Camera RAW formats for a large number of camera manufacturers are now loadable.
Go to the new Extensions page of the Preferences screen and tick the formats
you want to load. Note that the appalling lack of standardisation for RAW
formats, even from the same manufacturer, means that some files work but others
of ostensibly the same format don't. In particular EXIF metadata retrieval
can be a bit hit or miss.
- AWC can now be set to pause the change process if there is an application
running full screen: typically video players or games.
- Fix to an issue where a corrupt image file could be loaded without detection
and then lock up AWC when it tried to display it. My thanks to Moverickslayer
for pinning down the culprit and for all his feedback from beta-testing the
- Fixed small issue where loading a new theme, in which the image position
was different from the current one, resulted in the current wallpaper being
redisplayed in the new position before the new theme loaded.
- If an image is redisplayed after editing the timer is now reset to full
duration so you get enough time to enjoy the changed image.
4.8.17 - September 9, 2010
- More load time theme fixes
- Added ability to delete displayed file using hot-keys. Only the first two
monitors are supported for this.
4.8.5 - August 31, 2010
- Fixed bug in function to load a recent theme where the theme was a File
View based one. Selecting the theme from the list of recently used themes
resulted in an error saying that there were no files selected for display
and the saved list of files was not reloaded.
4.8.2 - August 25, 2010
- The Preferences screen has been completely redesigned. It's intended to
be less cluttered, more user friendly and allow more explanatory text to be
- New setting that allows wireless network connections time to reconnect after
returning from standby
- Minor tweaks to support the Windows 7 interface changes
- You can now filter on the the text contained in image comments for JPEG,
GIF and PNG files
- Added a means of editing image file comments
- Enhanced Theme management
- Function of Save button changed so that it still saves the current preferences
as the default if no theme is currently selected but saves any changes to
a loaded theme to the theme itself NOT as the default.
- The Save settings on exit option has change to Save settings on exit or
when loading a new theme.
- Currently selected theme is displayed in status bar.
- Theme menu is available by right-clicking on the theme name in the status
- Users can assign their own hotkeys to various AWC functions
- No hidden files option added
- In File view I've added an option on the list's pop-up menu to jump to the
position in the list of the currently displayed file
4.7.54 - Installation Set Fix- March 7, 2010
- Issued new installation set as the wrong version of a component was included
in the previous one. This meant that EXIF rotation broke.
4.7.50 - February 25, 2010
- Filter by image dimensions added
- Filter by orientation added (e.g. portrait only)
- Ampersands in file names now display correctly
- Window focus issues when using tray icon fixed
- Main window is no longer hidden by default when minimised in Windows 7 so
it complies with interface standard. Option added to preferences so that this
behaviour can be forced.
- Task bar icon handling now Windows 7 compliant
- In File View AWC no longer displays a file not found image when
asked to display files that have been deleted from the disk but are still
in the file list
- In File View corrected logic when deleting a file in multimonitor mode so
that the next file in the list in displayed rather than the first one.
- You can now select Do not show me this message again option on
some informational messages. Select Reset Hidden Prompt Message from
View menu to turn them back on.
- Updated to FreeImage version 3.1.31 so that recent modifications to EXIF
standard are supported
- JPG decoding enhanced for greater clarity
- You can cancel the filtering process by pressing <ESCAPE> key
- Fixed bug where dragging a shared folder from a remote computer did not
add the folder to the list
- When deleting a file in folder mode AWC now selects a random file to replace
it rather than always selecting the last file in the list
- Now accepts a theme (.SET) file as a command line argument. This means you
can just drag and drop a theme onto your AWC shortcut or set up a simple file
4.7.20 - December 06, 2009
- Fixed bug in tiling algorithm on multi-monitor systems so that only the
image that needs to be tiled is tiled as opposed to all images as was happening
- When a new version of AWC is available AWC will now now download the latest
version of its installation program directly instead of just opening the download
page. This should prevent confusion when people download what should be the
latest version from Download.com but the site hasn't caught up yet.
- Trying to launch a second instance of AWC now simply opens the running instance
instead of generating an error message.
- Restored old taskbar position handling and made it an option to resize so
that the image does not partly lie underneath
- Worst fit mode now takes account of position setting
4.7.0 - November 07, 2009
- Added a graphical picture frame option
- Pictures containing Alpha channels or other transparency (PNG and GIF)
are now rendered properly
- Image sizing and positioning now takes account of the task bar
- Status bar shows file processing info during change process.
- When restarting or otherwise doing a potentially long file search, the
status bar now shows progress so that the system doesn't look frozen
- Removed comdlg32.ocx component because it caused problems on some systems
- All file save and file open dialogs now use use native API calls and should
therefore reflect the style of the operating system better
- In view by file mode I've added a file info box
- If the setting to automatically check for new version at startup is on,
no error message is displayed if there is not currently a connection to the
- Added an input box to enable the user to manually enter a UNC path. Hold
<SHIFT> key when clicking Add button
- Rotate desktop hotkey added <Ctrl>+<ALT>+<T>
- Rewrote splash screen to be quicker and more compact
- Rewrote date/time retrieval for files in the View by file list so it should
- Added small program that is called by uninstall process to force AWC to
close before starting the uninstallation
- Screen saver now works properly when password protected (override timer
still not working on Windows 7 64-bit though)
4.6.21 - August 12, 2009
- Added view by file mode so users can select individual files and display
them in different sort orders
- Background image can now be stretched to fill the screen as well as tiled
- Tweaked some menus so single monitor systems don't need to access submenus
for delete and edit etc.
- Fixed up-down button bug that had the buttons work the wrong way round on
some Vista systems
- Added quick start guide for new users
- Restyled main screen to make access to features more obvious and easy
4.5.35 - March 30, 2009
- Save your current settings and image folders to a file as a Theme. This
lets you create image themes which can be quickly loaded later
- You can now put a frame around the displayed image
- Swap images around on multi-monitor displays (Edit/Rotate)
- Tray icon text now shows full path info to displayed files with ellipsis
if too long to fit
- New users are prompted for the image directory to use at start-up
- Default settings set to what is most commonly required
4.4.39 - March 16, 2009
- Alpha blended fade effects added
- When no background image is used the wallpaper is displayed using desktop
background colour rather than black
- Enforce maximum stretch when resizing small files
- Added more options to position the filename on screen
- Added opacity setting to filename display
- Program icon code updated to support Vista large icons
- Added hot key to open preferences screen - CTL+ALT+F2
- Command line settings added to support latest functionality
- New tab added to preferences as Image Processing tab had no more room
- Screen Saver added.
4.3.45 - March 09, 2009
- Bug fix - Expiry warning continued to pop-up after registration when restricted
rights user was using AWC. (My thanks to Daven for his expert analysis)
4.3.38 - March 03, 2009
- Multiple monitor support added
- All attached monitors display the wallpaper sized appropriately to the
individual monitor's resolution etc.
- Option to display a different image on each monitor.
- User can select an image to tile over the whole monitor background before
painting the wallpaper on top of it
- Check and prompt message in registration process to ensure the user has
- Add directory dialogue made resizable
4.2.1 - February 21, 2009
- Main window resizable
- Save window position and size on exit.
- More natural period specifying
- Menu option to open AWC registration page in browser
- Fixed bug in Registration window where some combinations of reg data string
lengths meant that the Register button was greyed out.
- If /X command line switch was used then the preserve file list logic was
4.1.0 - February 14, 2009
- Added minimum file size filter to preferences screen
- Fixed error when invalid path or file in browse for external editor
4.0.1 - February 12, 2009
- New version released as shareware
- Multiple directory selection
- Option to automatically start at logon
- Fixed Autoredraw error for large and high res images
- Colourise effect
- Bounds checking on period field
- No confirm on delete option
- No hidden directories option
- Delete files to recycle bin
- Restore original wallpaper on clear
- Drag and drop directories from explorer
- Added copy directory list to clipboard menu item
- Registration form added
- EXIF orientation sorted out
- New click-through EULA because no longer freeware
Version history for Version 3 and earlier